Thursday, January 22, 2015

Blackberry Clementine Smoothie


Don't think it's escaped my notice that my posts lately have been very introspective and deep.  Maybe bordering on a little too much information for all of my dear readers.  Maybe?  I don't know but I like to think it's part of my charm and hopefully you do too.

So in that spirit,  I thought I'd offer up something much the opposite today.  Short, quick and to the point.  Sort of like the recipe I'm sharing as well.  It's fitting, don't you think?   This is the sort of thing I'm craving these days.  In the heart of winter when I can't bear the idea of another stew for dinner or bowl of oatmeal at breakfast time what I really want is something to remind me that summer really will come again.  And thankfully Mother Nature obliges by bringing forth an abundant harvest of citrus in the bleak days of January.  So I'm celebrating citrus with a bright smoothie that makes me smile and feel just a little bit closer to the warm days of July.


Blackberry Clementine Smoothie
Makes enough for 2 smaller servings or one large one.
For the printable recipe, click here.

I don't know about you but when I have a typical smoothie for breakfast I usually end up feeling hungry an hour later.  They just don't "stick".  So I've thrown in a couple of ingredients that not only increase the sticking power of this smoothie but add a few more nutrients and fiber to an already healthy breakfast.  Why not?  So in go some rolled oats and chia seeds.  I like to blitz the oats first before adding the rest of the other ingredients so that they're broken down quite a bit.  I think it helps the texture.  Otherwise this is like any other smoothie- just throw the ingredients into the blender and blend.  Perfect for any busy morning on the go.

1/4 cup rolled oats
2 tsp chia seeds
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp honey
3 clementines, peeled (make sure you've got seedless ones)
3/4 cup frozen blackberries

Toss the oats into the cup of a blender and pulse a few times until they are broken down into a powder.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.  Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment